Friday, May 13, 2011

The Tell Tale Heart Analysis

My first impression after reading this story the first time, was the obvious and common take on the story that the main character is actually insane. After reading the story a second and third time and after reading the analysis and our in class discussions, I started to have different takes on the story. I think that the main character was likely hallucinating throughout the whole story and never committed any crime. Another take I found particularly interesting was something brought up in class about the bugs having something to do with the "heart beat" the the main character heard. The bugs may have been attracted to the rotting flesh therefore being under the floorboards where the body was buried. Another thing I found interesting was something I read from the analysis. It said that the main character was telling the story while he was in an asylum for the mentally insane. He was telling the story to try and prove to the people that he was not in fact crazy, thus explaining why he repeatedly states the he is sane. He confesses to the crime to show that he felt guilt for what he had done. Also, another conclusion that I've come to was that the man that was "killed" was maybe partially blind, causing his eye to look like a vulture. This would also explain why he was not able to see the character when he had entered the man's room. Even if a room is very dark, your eyes will eventually adjust, giving me reason to believe he is partially blind.

1 comment:

  1. I see that you have many takes on the story but which one do you believe actually happened? Maybe none of them were true and the author have a totally different meaning which we could not find out since the author is dead.

    ReplyDelete